Platform Engineer - Infrastructure
Showmax is one of the largest and most successful subscription video on demand services serving sub-Saharan Africa. Showmax apps are available for smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, computers, media players and gaming consoles. The engineering team has the unique challenge of supplying shows from Hollywood’s biggest studios, local African productions, and live sports from around the world to consumers in developing economies - all without compromising quality.
A bit about the team
The platform engineering team is currently split into two smaller teams and as the Showmax service is expanding into new markets and countries, our platform is growing both horizontally and vertically. Let’s see which team fits you better.
While we care for the existing platform, we’re also designing a brand new one from scratch, with an extremely modern tech stack. To name just a few technologies, we’ve already decided on K8s (EKS) to operate our platform on AWS, Loki for logs, Prometheus for metrics; the list goes on. Many of the technologies are still yet undecided, so there’s plenty of room to experiment or do PoCs.
Building, expanding, improving and maintaining a distributed multi-tier cloud system that makes up the overall platform for services known as Showmax
- Writing support infrastructure tooling and configurations in Terraform/Terragrunt/Tanka/Go/Python and debugging applications in any of the above with the sprinkle of C/C++ where applicable
- Creating PoC for technologies and passing the newly gained knowledge to your colleagues
- Driving the best practices of the Platform Engineering mindset and present some of our work to the community on conferences and meetups
Who are we looking for
- English at a level that you’re comfortable using daily
- GNU/Linux at a very decent level; UNIX power tools are at your fingertips, also
- man and info pages are your best friends
- Thou does not abuse cat
- Python, Go, or any other programming language, plus willingness to learn one of them
- Solid knowledge of AWS and Kubernetes
- Good grasp on networking technologies and concepts
- Experience with large-scale automated deployments
- Understanding of security concepts for data at rest and data in transfer and technologies that implement them. We use the following technologies in our stack. The more you know, the better, but you definitely do not need to know all of the following to pass the interview.
- Technologies we use or experiment with within our stack:
- AWS, Kubernetes
- Terraform/Terragrunt, Tanka
- Go, Python, Shell
- HAProxy, Varnish, Nginx
- Prometheus, Loki
- Docker, Consul, Vault
- Kafka, RabbitMQ
- ELK stack
What you’ll get in return?
- 25 days of holidays
- 5 sick days
- Annual bonus based on performance
- Fully remote work possible
- Equipment that you prefer - Lenovo or Apple laptop, monitors, etc.
- Meal vouchers, MultiSport card
- Education - internal knowledge sharing, conferences, online courses, time allocation for learning purposes
- Ergonomic workspace, good coffee and snacks in the office