Open position at Productboard
Senior Backend Engineer for Platform
- Work schedule
- Boudníkova 2506/1
At Productboard, we are developing a product command center where 5,000+ global companies make strategic product decisions every day. We're growing fast and with that comes strong demand to build more and more product features. To help meet our customers' evolving needs, we want to have 20% of our engineering team working on our technical platform. Would you like to be part of that?
Our engineering department is composed of multiple product tribes and a platform tribe. Each product tribe owns a different area of the product, while the platform tribe focuses on improving the efficiency of the whole engineering department.
The platform tribe is composed of six teams, each focusing on a different topic. However, we do keep a high level of cross-collaboration between the teams.
- Frontend Platform — owns a big piece of our technical architecture, develops the frontend framework and its interfaces with the backend (React, GraphQL, service workers, etc.).
- Developer Experience — improves the developer experience and productivity by tackling topics such as CI/CD, development environments, IDE plugins, and integration between development tools.
- Quality Engineering — oversees frameworks, tooling, and infrastructure that product tribes use to automate all kinds of tests, and keeps an eye on the quality of the product.
- Cloud Engineering — builds and maintains our infrastructure (AWS, Kubernetes, load balancers, etc.).
- Production Engineering — develops the backend framework that powers our microservices architecture and integrates it with all our tools (Backstage, k8s, Sentry, OpsGenie, etc.).
- Nucleus — builds and maintains our internal design system.
If you join us, you'll have the freedom to choose the topic which is closest to your heart. We also encourage moving between teams if there's a topic you like better.
We're fully running on AWS and Kubernetes, with our frontend written in Typescript/React. We're in the progress of breaking down a Ruby on Rails monolith into microservices that communicate through Kafka message bus. New components are written in Kotlin, with Ruby remaining a first-class citizen in our stack. We are also transitioning to a federated single schema GraphQL implementation for the data-fetching layer.
You are experienced at building web applications and designing architecture that scales
- You are passionate about learning, embrace change, and are not afraid to pick a new stack
- You have an interest in platform and building tools and features for other engineers
- You are not tied to a single tech stack and like to learn different technologies
- You like to fix things when they break
- You are passionate about sharing your knowledge with others
- Your code is clean and well tested
- You are fluent in English — our team consists of 14+ nationalities!
Experience with message queue systems and event-driven architecture
- Previous knowledge of Kotlin or other JVM-based language
- Previous knowledge of Ruby
- Previous experience working in platform teams or SRE
If you don't check all these boxes, don't worry! We encourage learning and knowledge-sharing and would love to have a chat with you regardless of your experience level.
You can look forward to the following benefits:
💰 Stock options
💻 MacBook + 34″ monitor
📚 Budget for online courses, books, and conferences
🏝 5 weeks of vacation + sick days
❤️ 1 Volunteer Day per year for you to help causes close to your heart
🍲 Free snacks, drinks, and yummy catered lunches every day
💚 Shared Headspace account for mindfulness & mental health
🏋 MultiSport card to access sports facilities
🍹 Team events, such as happy hours, off-sites, and retreats
⏱ Flexible working hours and home office
🧒🏻 Parental benefits
🎓 Language lessons
Productboard is a customer-centric product management platform that helps organizations get the right products to market, faster. More than 5,400 companies, including Microsoft, Zoom, 1-800-Contacts, and UiPath, use Productboard to understand what users need, prioritize what to build next, and rally everyone around their roadmap.
With offices in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Brno and Prague, Productboard is backed by leading investors like Tiger Global Management, Dragoneer Investment Group, Index Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Sequoia Capital, Bessemer Venture Partners, and Credo Ventures.
In January 2022, we closed our $125M Series D round, which put us into the Unicorn category of companies, with a valuation of $1.7B.
Join at the golden startup age — established stability of a Unicorn with space for individual impact
- You’ll enjoy an exciting team atmosphere, building a whole new category of software
- You can help change the way that products are built all over the world
- We iterate quickly and decisions are fast. You’ll have a voice in what we do and see the impact of your work
- We are backed by top Silicon Valley investors, giving us access to capital, networks, mentors, and new markets
- We are recognized as one of the hottest tech startups on the market today, named by Forbes magazine and Business Insider as one of the best startup employers to bet your career on and are regularly recognized for our company culture
About our culture
Imagine working in a place where everything matters — most importantly, you. At Productboard, values aren’t just something we like to talk about, they’re something we live and breathe. We believe in creating a work environment where:
- People feel empowered, supported, and included
- Trust and transparency are built into the way we work
- Creativity, curiosity, and continuous improvement are encouraged and nurtured every day
Forming our company values was a group effort, with every employee allowed to contribute. From profit-sharing initiatives, like stock options, to open calendars and communication, we don’t waste time on politics or ego. We champion openness by sharing our goals, success, and failures.
Join colleagues who love what they do and who are invested in their work environment and the future of the company. Help shape our company, culture, and product!
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and champion equity. It is our aim to help people from all backgrounds, cultures, and groups realize their full potential at Productboard. We do not tolerate any discrimination or harassment based upon gender identity, race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other bias covered by appropriate law. All aspects of employment, including hiring, training, promotion, and terminations, are based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We are committed to an inclusive hiring process and provide all candidates with equal opportunity to demonstrate their abilities. Togetherness is one of our core values, and our Diversity Council helps to ensure that we uphold the values of authenticity, humanity, and diversity to create an environment where every person matters. We are committed to leading by example to drive societal change.